Constituency Review Submission from Anna McKenna
Submission ID: S314
Louth, Meath East
There was a government boundary review in 2017 but despite the huge population growth in the south Louth, Drogheda and East Meath areas, no new constituency was created.
There is a logical connection between Drogheda and East Meath and I believe this present review creates a chapter of hope for the future and is a key opportunity to assert a more logical and better way to run the administration and governance of the Greater Drogheda Region and thus enhance the quality of life for people living, working and studying in the Drogheda/East Meath area. A stand- alone constituency will benefit the region both locally and nationally.
Drogheda-LBM is unique in being the only case where two ‘large towns’ of 10k+ are fusing together as a single agglomeration.
The obvious benefits that will accrue to Drogheda and East Meath by becoming a city are many and varied such as:
- “We have many of the attributes of a city – large population; good infrastructure; transport hub; the “de-facto” Regional Hospital for the North East.
- “City status will put us in the Premiership for overseas businesses to consider setting up here and we are unique in having major housing projects coming on stream for their employees.”
- “Cities have a magnetic ‘pull’ on areas around them, and become hubs of creativity, enterprise, education. This means reduction of the ‘brain drain’ of workers and students heading to Dublin/Dundalk every day. Another east coast city would take some of the strain off Dublin resources and infrastructure.
- “Local administration and governance would enable us to realise Drogheda’s full potential to contribute on the bigger picture for the Greater Drogheda Region which would lead to greater social and economic prosperity for the population of the region.
- “We have massive untapped tourism potential throughout the Boyne Valley and East Coast regions of South Louth and East Meath that need a focused approach and would deliver significant economic benefits if realised.”
I trust you will make the brave and correct decision to allow citizens in Drogheda East Meath to look forward to a bright future with hope and confidence.