Constituency Review Submission from Patrick Gilna
Submission ID: S273
Dublin Fingal, Meath East, Dublin Bay North
Submission to The Electoral Commission in relation to the constituency of Dublin Fingal following the 2022 Census Preliminary Results.
The Electoral Commission have indicated that the number of TDs, which currently stands at 160, will be increased to not less than 171 and not more than 181. Also the number of TDs cannot be fixed at less than one member per 30,000 of the population:
Dublin Fingal currently is a 5 seat constituency with a population of 170,690 per the 2022 census, with a population per TD of 34,138.
Further to a detailed analysis of the statistics and taking account of the guidelines issued, the following is proposed for consideration.
Split Dublin Fingal into 2 new constituencies, Dublin Fingal North (3 TDs) & Dublin Fingal South (4 TDs), with existing and new areas added as follows:
Dublin Fingal North: o Existing: Balbriggan, Balrothery, Skerries, Loughshinny, Balscadden, Naul, Garristown, Ballyboughal, Oldtown, Rush, Lusk, Donabate, Portrane. – Population 80,325
- New: Currently in the constituency of Meath East – Stamullin area, Ardcath area, Rathfeigh area.- Population 8,681
- Total Population 89,006 in a 3 seat constituency with a population per TD of 29,669
Dublin Fingal South:
- Existing: Malahide, Kinsealy, Portmarnock, Swords (which is the county town and should never be divided), Rolestown, St Margarets- Population 90,072
- New: Currently in the constituency of Dublin Bay North – Baldoyle, Howth, Sutton, which is in the Fingal County Council Area – Population 29,004
- Total Population 119,076 in a 4 seat constituency with a population per TD of 29,769