The Publication of Our Constituency Review 2023
An Coimisiún Toghcháin, as Ireland’s independent electoral commission is publishing the recommendations of our Constituency Review of Ireland’s Dáil and European Parliament constituencies.
After every census there is a review of the composition and boundaries of the Dáil constituencies.
Our Constitution provides that there should be, on average, one TD to represent every 20,000-30,000 people.
Our electoral laws also set out further criteria for Constituency Reviews:
- that each constituency will be comprised of 3, 4 or 5 members;
- that the breaching of county boundaries should be avoided if possible;
- that each constituency must be composed of adjoining areas;
- that we must consider significant geographic, population density and physical features,
- and finally, that in carrying out this work, the Electoral Commission should try to maintain as much continuity of electoral areas as possible.
You can access the full recommendations in English and Irish below: